Thursday, November 19, 2009

sticks

After The Blair Witch Project came out, a lot of my friends questioned 'my thing' for sticks.  I don't know where 'my thing' for sticks came from or when it quite started, but I've always loved the form and lines of wood.  In high school I started collecting sticks.  I would arrange them into collages and hang them on my bedroom walls or make butterfly wings out of bent willow branches with dream catcher centers.  I would leave them about my room in still lifes with stones and paint brushes. 
Today, I still collect and create art with sticks (although most people have forgotten the creepy similarity to the Blair Witch Project).  When I see pictures of natural wood on design blogs or in shelter magazines, I feel a little akin to whoever put that stick there. 






(Always one of my favorites: James Merrell)



(Kelly Ishikawa photo via Remodelista)



(unknown)





Lili Diallo's NYC loft via Apartment Therapy


(From Remodelisa)


(Napanee Design's Highcliff Capilano Home)




No comments: